In the beginning, there was a large-format printer, a laminator and no one to run them.
A coworker and I were hired simultaneously, and we spent the next 10+ years leveraging our design backgrounds and general whip-smarts to realize the original vision for it as a full-fledged production resource.
We produced graphics for stadium-filling business meetings, towering trade show exhibits, multi-million dollar mobile tours and the World’s Largest Cereal Box.
Beyond the everyday print production workload, prepress responsibilities included:
- Preparing disordered design work for print
- Anticipating issues and implementing solutions
- Developing strategies in the absence of technical specifics
In addition to assuring consistent quality in print output, I frequently offered cost-effective alternatives and innovative production techniques to enhance final output.
- Personally responsible for printing over $2 million in large-format graphics
- Helping to grow a brand new department to almost $1 million in annual revenue at its peak